Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wednesday Night Lessons 101

Paul & Timothy
Text: Acts 15-16
1. Welcome Song
I found a new version of the "Books of the New Testament" on the CD "Bible Songs for Toddlers." I found out that I can borrow quite a few different CDs from our local library, so have ordered a few more for ideas.
Sang the song about 4 times, with actions. A few of the kids picked up on it pretty fast, but it has a lot of words in it so it will take a couple more weeks to know it.
2. Bible Time
Did a few more Bible drills, marked the book of Matthew in their Bibles with a blue bookmark to help them find it.
3. Story Time
Read Acts 15:22, Acts 15:40,41, and Acts 16:1-10 from the Message translation Bible. Broke the class into two parts to listen, using one half to listen for WHO went on a trip, and the other half to listen WHERE they went on a trip.
Brought in my suitcase for a visual aid. Talked just briefly about going on trips before starting the story.
4. Break Time
Had some issues with rowdy kids tonight. One thing worked fairly well, if I can just practice it more, is letting them know a break time is coming up when they will be allowed to move around, talk, get a drink, etc but during story time it's time to listen. I've found out it helps the more active kids to have a schedule that is regular so they know what to look forward to and when to sit still and when they can move. I haven't perfected it yet, but I think it helps.
5. Mailbox
Tonight I had only 3 letters in the mailbox (there were 5 kids). Two letters that hadn't been picked up by absent kids, and one birthday card. In the birthday card I had the beginning of the activity for tonight.
6. Activity
Treasure Hunt!
I made 5 clues on yellow slips of paper that I hid before class around the room. While the birthday boy can't read yet, it was his job to lead the others around. The others could help him read the clue, but they weren't allowed to touch or find the next one, only help. The clues led them to our Memory Verse bulletin board, and after practicing it a few times and reminding them about the paper party coming up, I gave them the last clue which led to a snack of cupcakes in the fridge.
7. Craft
We made twirling puppets out of tag-board and straws. They were supposed to be Timothy.

Note: This week I had a little difficulty with the older students not listening. One idea for next week is, when I ask them a question and they purposely don't know the answer, to move on quickly to another student and not give that one any more attention than necessary. "I'm sorry you don't know the answer.....Penny, how about you tell me the answer?"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails