Friday, November 16, 2007

Letter Writing Friday


I love getting letters in the mail. It's so much more exciting than advertisments or junk mail! I also love writing letters. Here are some tips on how to write nice letters:


  • Be in a cheerful mood. One thing I've noticed is that, if I'm in a grump mood, my letters tend to reflect that. Same with when I am goofy, moody, sleepy, or cheerful.

  • Find some fun stationary. There are endless possibilities here. I've used blank paper with stamps, pressed flowers, and stickers. I've used personalized monogramed cards. I've used the odds and ends of gift stationary and saved it over the years (see pic above). I've made homemade cards. (See Abbi's post about cardmaking) You can be creative and use just about anything. My sister has used birch bark before!

  • Write clearly. Take the time to print or script nicely. It's alot easier to read for the recipient! If you don't like your handwriting, check out some books from the library or order some from a bookstore.

  • Ask questions. Make sure you ask some questions of the recipient too, "How are you?" "What did you do this week?" "What do you think about...." "Have you ever tried...."

  • Keep it personal. When you write letters, whether they are thank you notes or just friendly notices, mention things about yourself, your week, your gift (if it's a thank you), little things you find intersting, or how your family is doing. It makes it more personal than just a generic "Hi. How are you. I am fine. Thanks for the gift. Bye."

  • Post it. This is one of the most common problems in letter writing I think.....we forget to mail it! So, when you sit down to write, have the envelopes nearby, an updated address book (write in pencil or keep on computer), and a roll of stamps. Address the card imediately after you write it, and put a stamp on it. Some exceptions I've found are, 1. If I have more to enclose, I will not put a stamp on it yet (that helps me differentiate between the ones ready to go and not) 2. If I don't have the current address I'll put it in my letter holder and make a post-it note to get the address ASAP.

2 comments:

Abbi said...

Fun post! I have been thinking lately that I need to do more letter writing. Lately I have been doing more blogging than writing. But not everybody sees that and it is not as personal.

Unknown said...

i do not like writing letters. i d not like them sam I am.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails