Thursday, December 20, 2007

Beautiful

Saturday morning we woke up to God's beautiful world! I don't think I've ever seen it so thick....it covered every tree branch, every grass blade, every detail of everything to make a white wonderland. God definitely is the master of beauty!



(Here is a definition of Hoarfrost: Fernlike crystals of ice that form by deposition of water vapor on twigs, tree branches, and other vegetation.)

I've been reading through a book called Captivating, and I love what it says about beauty.
  1. Beauty invites. "It captures you, as in a piece of music or a garden. It draws you in, holds your attention. You can't wait to get back to it, spend time with it. All of the responses that God wants of us."
  2. Beauty nourishes.
  3. Beauty comforts.
  4. Beauty inspires.
  5. Beauty is transcendent. "Sometimes the beauty is so deep it pierces us with longing. For what? For life as it was meant to be. Beauty reminds us of an Eden we have never known, but somehow know our hearts were created for. Beauty speaks of heaven to come, when all shall be beautiful. It haunts us with eternity. Beauty says, 'There is a glory calling to you.' And if there is a glory, there is a source of glory. What great goodness could have possibly created this? What generosity gave us this to behold? Beauty draws us to God."

May you be aware of beauty in your life this week, and be drawn to God through it!

4 comments:

Martha said...

Thank you for the reminder! I remember times when I have been walking at my parents and seeing flowers or snow or something so beautiful I just wanted to go be part of it.
Have you heard the song by trent willmon: There is a God? he talks about how if you only open your eyes and look around you you will see the hand of God in the beauty of life everywhere.
Praise God for his gifts!!!

Abbi said...

That is so right that beauty draws us to God!! One thing very fun about kids is that they are so quick to notice beauty. My big goal is to always remember to point them to the creator of beauty.

ming said...

Captivating is a good book! It's a must-read for every girl!
=)

I didn't see you in church, I hope you had a great Christmas celebration..

Anyway, I'm here wishing you a very merry Christmas and Happy New Year..Have a Blessed year ahead. =)

Anonymous said...

Somehow I came upon your blogspot as I was researching "faisan sous cloche" (phantom tollbooth reference). I have read "Captivating" and shared it with our college aged bible study and with my own bible study group. It has been such a blessing! I highly recommend "Wild at Heart" too! God bless your new year!
Mia

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails