Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Morning Devotions


Every morning we get up, make some Indian Chai Tea, and sit down for our devotions. Recently, I've been reading through the book of Proverbs, in the Bible, and also the book Feeding Your Soul. I'd like to share with you some neat quotes and thoughts that have encouraged and challenged me daily.

There are alot of verses encouraging humbleness in Proverbs:

Proverbs 3:7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.

Proverbs 17:9 He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.
Proverbs 15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Proverbs 15:22 Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.
Proverbs 15:23 A man finds joy in giving an apt reply-- and how good is a timely word!

Proverbs 15:33 The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor.
Proverbs 16:20 Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord.

Humbleness is something I desire to cultivate. I see the benefits of it, and how it is desired by God that I be humble. This morning, as I prayed, I wrote down a list of practical things in my life that would show humblenes.

Humbleness Is...
  • Doing the job I don't want to do
  • Stopping what I am doing and seeing to someone else's needs
  • Not talking loudly
  • Asking questions when visiting with someone
  • Admitting my mistakes
  • Not "Knowing it all"
These are daily things...little things even...in which I can practice humbleness.

The book Feeding Your Soul encourages daily, practical ways to spend time with God. One of this week's ideas, was to write down Phillipians 4:6,7 "Do not be anxious about anything..." every day. After that, note the worries or things bothering you that morning. Make a short list and pray over each one.

"Like most passions, worry grows as we feed it - and it is always hungry. Worry refuses to sit quietly in the corner; it demands our attention and energy. Our worries often grow out of what might happen but what probably won't happen... When worries drain away your spiritual viatlity, list them in your notebook. Pray over each situation. As you pray, ask God if there is any action He wants you to take. Then hand it over to him."

This week, I pray that I will cultivate a humble heart. I also need to learn to take charge of my worries, and not let them eat away at me. What kind of heart are you cultivating this week??

2 comments:

Fawn said...

emily, this blog was so encouraging. I really needed to be reminded about the importance of laying our worries before the Lord, and praying over them....

and I want you to know Emily, that you are one of the must humble and generous people I have ever met. You are always so giving in your time, and a joyful person. I love you!! and am so glad we are friends.

have a great week!

Martha said...

I didn't think your husband liked Chai?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails