Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Pirate Evening

Since my cousins are up, we thought it'd be fun to have a special Pirate themed night. We planned to go over to my parents for supper.


In the morning, I made up this Pirate Cake to take.



We all dressed up like pirates and I planned a treasure hunt.

We picked up the kids after work, to take them on the hunt and walk the dog. Here are the clues for a Scavenger Hunt that I made up.

It led to "treasure" in the mailbox. (Chocolate coins)

Then we went back for supper and games.

The cake was very fun....I got the idea for decorating from this web site. I used the flag clip art by cutting out the black outlines, leaving the white, laying it on my cake and using chocolate sprinkles to fill it in. The recipe is quite simple, for both the cake and the frosting:
Chocolate Crazy Cake
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 tsp soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 6 Tbl cocoa powder

Mix in cake pan (13 x 9 inch) thoroughly. Make holes and pour in:

  • 3/4 cup oil
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 Tbl vinegar
  • Pour 2 cups cold water over all

Mix well. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Grandma's Whipped Cream Frosting

Put in saucepan:

  • 2 1/2 Tbl flour
  • 1/2 cup milk

Cook and stir over medium heat until it separates from the pan. Keep stirring for 1 minute. Cool completely. (To hurry cooling, cover pan and set in cold water)

Cream together:

  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Add cooled flour paste and beat at fast speed until thoroughly mixed and consistency of whipped cream.

Double the recipe for a layer cake.

1 comment:

Katie said...

You are so creative! That looks like a lot of fun. I have used your ideas, in teaching kids quite a bit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails