Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hospitality


My sister gave me this funny book for my birthday. The sub-title gave me the giggles when I saw it, and I looked forward to reading it.


Well, I have since read it, and I really really liked it. First off, I liked their dictionary definition of Hospitality:

"Being disposed to entertain with generous kindness."

It was a great book of encouragement and little tips to practice having guests in your home, enjoying them, and they enjoying you (by you not being too flustered or busy). Here are some of the points:

  • Prepare your menu ahead of time, shop a couple days before or a day before, to leave yourself time for prep.

  • Take time to freshen up before the guests come, and greet them at the door

  • Don't leave your guests while you finish up last minute serving/details....share the time with those you've invited over, by sharing tasks with the host (you are the hostess), making sure one of you is always present.

  • Enjoy your time....plan some games or stories for set-backs/lags in the time. Smile. Laugh.

  • Keep your meals simple and delicious

Then, interspersed throughout the book were all sorts of recipes and tips....not all of which I really thought sounded delicious....I mean, I'm not really up for making Olive Creamed Potatoes or Charcoal Grilled Rock Lobster Tails....but some others were manageable.

M. and I love having people over. It definitely has been a crash course for me in cooking sometimes....as I'm learning how to cook Vegetarian, Vegan, Lactose Intolorant, All-American, Indian, Asian, and African. But it's been fun. And I've gained confidence that we can invite any and every one over and have something I can cook to eat. (You'd think with all these recipes I'd know what to cook every night for supper!!)

Another book I've read and enjoyed, is The Hospitality Commands.




And while I was looking for this book on CBD, I found a WHOLE PAGE of books on that subject....look! I'm going to look at the library for a couple of them......


I'm thankful for the example of hospitality set by so many families as I've grown up.... my family, the williams, the cobbs, my sis & bro in law, my in-laws, Ula, my aunt and uncle, and so many more! I've loved watching and learning, and look forward to growing in this area.....because I do have a lot to learn. I still find myself getting flustered when company is coming...which isn't very relaxing to be around....and I get easily upset if the food doesn't turn out right....and I'm not always good at conversation.....but it's nice to have encouragement through others and good books and prayer!

What are some of your favorite Hospitality Tips?

And just for kicks...here is one of my favorite desserts to serve:


Chocolate Chip Blondies

  • 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter (melted)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 c. chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla just until blended. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to brown sugar mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread into a greased 13x9 inch pan.

Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails