Friday, November 20, 2009

When Company Comes....

I sometimes draw a blank when it comes to something to post. So I thought, maybe it's time for me to do a series....something that constantly inspires me or I have to talk about (like there's only one, ha ha).

So to help me (and perhaps help those who read it), I begin "When Company Comes..." Every Friday, hopefully, I'll have something to share, whether it be a tip, a recipe, a link, a flop, a story....we'll see what comes and goes!

First of all....we love having company. We really do. M. is much better at hosting and inviting than I am, but I am thankful I can live and learn! I think it's been so GREAT having lots of different people, friends and guests and family, all visit in our home. I have so many great people as examples too....but I'll share those later :)

Today, to start, I think I'll just share a recipe. And a cookie recipe at that. Warm cookies, right out of the oven with cold milk.....what can beat that! I remember eating these almost every week. We really went through the cookies at our house! But best of all, this recipe makes a big batch! Big enough for lots of guests, or sharing with neighbors, or even freezing for later!

Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 1 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 4 eggs

Mix these together in big bowl. Then add:

  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 1/4 cup powdered milk (or if you don't have this, add 2 Tbl regular milk)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp soda
  • 2 tsp vanilla

Mix. Then add a bit at a time:

  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 bag chocolate chips

Bake at 400 degrees F. for 10 minutes.

Yield: 6 dozen

Tip: Serve these warm out of the oven on a sturdy plate while watching a movie with friends, or playing a board game. Make sure to have napkins around too, as the chocolate chips are still gooey!

And finally, a great verse to learn:

"Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins. Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay."

1 Peter 4:8-9

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement.mkl

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails