Friday, June 25, 2010

When Company Comes, you should have.....Good Pancakes

This morning I made pancakes for breakfast. Not that you are terribly interested in that fact, or that I am terribly interested in telling you what I make every day for breakfast, besides the point that we had no company. But, there are some key points I thought I'd share, just for fun.

1) Neither of us are very fond of pancakes *gasp*
2) I think it's because I like "light" pancakes rather than very dense
3) This morning I thought to experiment with the batter to make it lighter (I think I read this somewhere at sometime, someplace)

The recipe calls for buttermilk, but I used 1/2 regular milk, and 1/2 ginger ale. :)
And it worked!

The result was a nice, fluffy pancake....without a hint of ginger I might add!

So, without further ado, here is a nice recipe for company pancakes:

1 cup flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup ginger ale
3/4 cup milk
2 Tbl oil


Image from here.

The other fun thing you might try sometime, is making cookie-cutter shaped pancakes!
I read this in a book, but the above image is as close online as I could get (every other instruction says to cook the pancakes and then cut them out...nah)

From what I remember, you would grease a cookie cutter (with oil), set it on your hot griddle, and then pour in batter. Let cook until brown and bubbly (like usual), but then, flip the whole works over. If the cutter was greased sufficiently, the pancake should slide down to cook the other side (and still keep it's shape). After that you should be able to remove the cutter.

Have fun!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails