Friday, August 6, 2010

When Company Comes : A peek in the past


I've told you before about the old book my sister gave me, "Betty Crocker's Easy Guide to Entertaining."

Everytime I read it, I have such fun. There really are some great ideas in it, but some of it is so classic. Here is an excerpt for your reading pleasure:

"One of the best cooks I know skips appetizers and serves her first course in the living room before small dinners.  'It really is a time saver. It keeps my guests occupied with something to eat while I am in the kitchen dishing up my main course and getting it to the table. I join my guests with a small serving of the first course for myself, and slip out before they have finished to heat rolls and attend to other last minute duties.' "

"Her first course is always something that can be assembled in advance on separate plates, such as an avocado half filled with mayonnaise and capers, or small aspics, or a crab ravigotte."

"She hands a fork and dinner napkin with each plate. When her main course is on the table, she moves guests to the dining room by saying, 'Shall we go in? Just leave plates, but will you bring your napkin?"

"Later, when she leaves the dining room briefly to get dessert or start coffee, she takes a minute or two to pile the first-course dishes on a tray and take them to the kitchen. This takes only an instant, but leaves the living room cleared as if by magic."

Happy Entertaining!

Here are some interesting recipes from this book that you might like to try (but not me!)
  • Hearts of Palm Salad
  • Vichyssoise
  • Chilled Tomato and Cucumber Soup
  • Avocado Mousse
  • Olive Creamed Potatoes
  • Stuffed Leg of Lamb

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails